2008-12-15

Connect to Internet with a Bluetooth 3G Phone

There are many tutorials available that describe how to connect to Internet using a 3G phone with bluetooth, but none of them worked for me. I had to use a combination of several sources. This is what worked.

I want to connect to Internet with my Asus Eee PC 901 using my SonyEricsson W880i. The operator I use is Tele2 in Sweden. I have installed Ubuntu Eee on the netbook.

First I used Blueman to configure the bluetooth connection using this tutorial. This should result in a /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf looking something like this:

rfcomm0 {
bind yes;
device AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF;
channel 2;
comment "W880i";
}

The device is the mac address of your phone and the channel is the same as your phone's Dial-up Networking channel. You can find out your channel using Properties in Blueman. The Serial Port channel also worked for me.

Then I wrote the following in /etc/wvdial.conf, found in this tutorial.

[Dialer defaults]
Modem = /dev/rfcomm0

[Dialer tele2]
Modem = /dev/rfcomm0
Baud = 115200
Init2 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.tele2.se"
Phone = *99#
Username = *
Password = *
New PPPD = yes
Auto DNS = 1

I start the network with the following command.

wvdial tele2

No comments:

Felfri produktutveckling

Skojade bara. När vi konstruerar och tillverkar produkter är det alltid möjligt att göra misstag. Konstruktionen fungerar inte som det var t...